Sunday, December 7, 2008

Uh Oh

SUMMIT BEGINS SEARCH FOR NEW MOON DIRECTOR

Los Angeles, CA, December 7, 2008 – Summit Entertainment and director Catherine Hardwicke jointly announced today that the filmmaker will not be directing the next installment in the newly minted TWILIGHT film franchise. Summit’s targeted end of 2009 or early 2010 release of the film, NEW MOON, does not work with Ms. Hardwicke’s required prep time to bring her vision of the film to the big screen. Thus as has been done before with many successful film franchises, the studio will employ a new director for NEW MOON.


“I am sorry that due to timing I will not have the opportunity to direct NEW MOON,” said Hardwicke. “Directing TWILIGHT has been one of the great experiences of my life, and I am grateful to the fans for their passionate support of the film. I wish everyone at Summit the best with the sequel– it is a great story.”

“Catherine did an incredible job in helping us to launch the TWILIGHT franchise and we thank her for all of her efforts and we very much hope to work with her on future Summit projects,” said Erik Feig, Summit’s President of Production. “We as a studio have a mandate to bring the next installment in the franchise to the big screen in a timely fashion so that fans can get more of Edward, Bella and all of the characters that Stephenie Meyer has created. We are able to pursue an aggressive time frame as we have the luxury of only adapting the novels into screenplays as opposed to having to create a storyline from scratch.”


Um, sh*t.
*bangs head against desk*
I liked Catherine's directing style so much; it fit perfectly with the feel Twilight had going on.
I wonder just how different New Moon will be now.
If it goes all Hollywood and Batman on us, I'm going to flip.
Catherine was so passionate.
This new jerk better be equally or even more devoted to the film than she was.
=[

ahsjdjfgdgfhf
I need to rant about this. XD
First of all, I'd like to say that this change doesn't have to be bad. A new director could be a good thing, if they have enough enthusiasm and understanding for the story we all love.
At the same time, this could be hell.
Not to sound sexist or feminist or anything but I'm really hoping the new director is a woman. Let's face it - Twilight's fanbase is ruled by females. It may be stereotypical to say that men like action more than romance, but it's a very accurate stereotype if I do say so myself. A woman can easily fit in Bella's shoes and capture the world that Stephenie - who is indeed a woman - created from her own girly dreams. Women are generally more sensitive, wouldn't you agree? Putting a woman in charge of a film as saturated with deep emotion as New Moon will likely ensure that those key emotions are portrayed correctly. Not that men don't have a sensitive and romantic side to them, but all the guys I know watch Lord of the Rings more than they watch Titanic. The impossible seperation, the months of emptiness and loss, the gift of friendship, the choice between two people you love in different ways, the slow process of stitching the heart back up, and finally the rebirth of love with the one who left you - if the viewers don't feel these things as if they were real, then the movie might as well not be called New Moon at all.
I personally liked how Twilight felt like an independent film. I hope whoever the new director is at least maintains the mysteriousness and the beauty and the artistic undertone. Without it, it just wouldn't be Stephenie's world.
However, if the new director is more experienced, then I hope they will take the utmost advantage of that, and take away some of the cheesiness and choppiness that was in Twilight. I want it to flow smoothly, just like the books. I want it to feel natural.
And, with the new and improved budget, they better have some KILLER effects for the werewolves. A person transforming into a wolf can so easily become ridiculous if not done right. It's very different than making a vampire run or climb up a tree.
Sheesh. The drama of the Twilight world. ;P

7 comments:

bookishheather said...

What isn't being said is that since Twilight brought in so much cash they want to rush it and don't care whether it's done well, so long as it's done. They better choose another female director; I don't believe that a man could do this series justice.

Twilighter said...

I totally agree.
There's a reason most of Twilight's readers are female.

MakeMoneyOnline said...

Make Money Online RIGHT NOW http://tinyurl.com/55fqjh

bookishheather said...

Yes! I liked that it had an indie feel; in fact, that was the draw for some of my friends who weren't Twilight fans beforehand. And I do think its important that it be a woman not only because I really feel it will take a woman to understand the depth of a teenage girl's devotion and loss, and the process of picking the pieces back up, but also it's great that girls/women can see a strong, successful woman helming a movie. I mean, Hardwicke had the best opening for a woman, and that was awesome!

Amy said...

All we can do is hope and pray they do it right - whoever it is. Personally - I would love Joss Whedon to do it. We all know he's all about the pain - and there is a LOT of pain in New Moon, and I think he could do the book justice. He knows how to deal with strong female characters also - and can fully handle the complicated relationships between Bella, Edward and Jake. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

Anonymous said...

I'm actually thrilled that she's not doing New Moon. I expect that with the financial success of Twilight, they'll get a more seasoned director. I'd like to see what someone else can do with Twilight's next story. I'd like them to lose the white pancake faces on the vampires, lose the puff on poor Robert's head, and figure out a better way to make them look other-worldly but still gorgeous. I'd also like to see a better screenplay. I'm not too demanding, as you can see. ;-)

-S.

Anonymous said...

I fully agree with everyone---in that, the new director better be female! And she had better be a huge fan of the books! Pleeeease don't let New Moon go Hollywood! I just want the raw emotions of the book played out by our favorites--Rob and Kristen. yikes. Am I the only one who is totally scared now?!