Friday, August 15, 2008

Satisfied with Jacob's Happily Ever After?

This werewolf question is brought to you by the lovely Novel Novice Twilight:

Were you happy by the way Jacob’s story ended in Breaking Dawn?

I have chew over this one. My initial answer is yes. Yes, I was glad by the end of the book that Jacob found someone to love for eternity who was so close to Bella. But for some reason, I feel like there's something lacking. There's a mysterious emptiness I get whenever I think about Jacob and Renesmee together, and I'm trying to figure out what it is. Maybe I secretly liked the tension and drama that was caused by the Bedwardacob triangle in Eclipse, and then when it disappeared without a fight, without a trace, it left something to be desired. Maybe it was never meant to be, in my mind, that Bella should keep Jacob as a friend. Would it have been better if Jacob had imprinted on someone who wasn't such a significant part of Bella's life so that there could be more focus on her and Edward, and Jacob could be free and go his own way? And yet, I think it was more satisfactory that Jacob, a boy so intertwined in Bella's heart, could still be close to her in the way that was meant to be. I have no problem with him imprinting on a baby, like some people do. We got to see how amazing the situation was for Quil and Claire, even though it sounded wrong when described by someone else. I am glad that he ended up imprinting, regardless of whom it was on, because after all the pain he'd been suffering through, he deserved to have a soul mate he could live a wonderful life with. It was necessary for him to see that imprinting wasn't all bad after he'd been so pigheaded and opposed to it before. I think I was tired of the endless angst radiating from Jacob wherever he went and I felt that he had to let go of Bella, but not by giving in, just by being dished a fate that couldn't possibly be defiled - and that is why I was happy with our favorite werewolf stud's ending in the long run.

Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn, Midnight Sun, Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart, vampire, Edward Cullen, Bella Swan, Twilight Movie, Stephenie Meyer

No comments: