Thursday, August 14, 2008

My Return to the Breaking Dawn World

Over vacation my dad was reading Breaking Dawn. He finished within a few short days, of course, and so, unable to resist, I snatched the book up and started rereading it. You know what? It was even better the second time. I'd even go so far as to say it was twice as good the next time 'round. For those of you who disliked it the first time you read it: read it again. I have a theory about the haters out there, and this just applies to some, not all. But I think that they were so taken aback or disgusted or angered by some of the unexpected twists Stephenie threw in there, that as they read all the words in between those plot bombs, they weren't immersed in them anymore. Their heads were still swimming from Bella getting pregnant or Jacob imprinting or anything else that made their mouths drop open and so the rest of the story went by in a blur. The solution: pick up the book and start all over. The second time you read it, you know what's happening when Bella starts eating like a pig. You know that Jacob is going to see Renesmee's cute little face and then - bam - he's a blind man seeing the sun for the first time. You know that as Bella is convulsing and gushing out blood that Edward is going to turn her into a vampire. I mean, the first time I came across the words the end and closed the book, I was in love. But the second time, I actually realized why Stephenie Meyer chose to do everything she did and how well it all tied in to create the perfect ending - and it was the writing within the craziness that helped me to come to this conclusion. So, after two times the charm, I am ready to personally rank Breaking Dawn. Twilight is my favorite of the saga, of course, just because of the mystery and glory of first love and all that jazz. But Breaking Dawn is in second, right alongside Eclipse. (New Moon comes a little after...I'm sorry, but it just wasn't quite as enjoyable with the serious lack of sexy vampires. ;P) Sure, Breaking Dawn had a different aura to it overall. It was a bit darker, and definitely more mature. But when you actually focus on some of the smaller parts to the story, you come to find how many things that we love from the other books are present in this final installment as well. For instance, Bella and Edward magic. I'll make a list: throughout the wedding, throughout the honeymoon, when she very first wakes up as a vampire, her first hunting trip, with Renesmee, in the cottage, and then tiny moments scattered all over the book. Though there may have been fewer and they may have been smaller, there were indeed beautiful moments between Bella and Edward, just like there were in all the other books. One thing in particular that I think really had me enjoying the book was that Bella grew up - drastically. She wasn't the same annoying whiny and complaining girl. Instead, she was a confident, mature, selfless woman, who still had that bite of sarcasm that we love about her and still was obsessively in love with her vampire boy. She was still relatable, too, even as a vampire. She still had all those small human troubles and worries. But, for me, I don't necessarily desire that relatable aspect in books. I like characters that are different, that have incredible abilities, that are magical. Bella was just that. Here's another, rather random, thing that I noticed. Upon reading Breaking Dawn, I started picturing the characters in my head more like the actors portraying them in the film. Edward and Bella especially. Before knowing about the movie, my mental images of them were a bit different. I never have that detailed of a picture in my head when I read, it's more vague and abstract, but all the main components are there. It seems that I catologued each description that Stephenie gave us, no matter how small, and applied it to the picture. With Edward, I saw a glowing, godlike man with pale, marble-like skin that's rather muscular, a defined face with flawless features, golden eyes (or black, depending on the occasion), that shining crooked smile when necessary, and even his lovely fashion sense. The only thing that eluded me (and STILL eludes me) for reasons that are unfathomable, is his darn hair. For some reason, before Robert Pattinson took shape in my mind and after, Edward's hair is always too dark, almost black. For some reason, I can't picture him with bronze hair. And now that I see more of Robert Pattinson in Edward, his hair still doesn't change whatsoever. It's not all flippy-like - instead it's still tousled, but lies pretty flat on his head (even though I ADORE the way they are doing it for the movie.) Kristen Stewart popped into my mental pictures especially after Bella became a vampire, because of how pretty she is. Anyway, I've started rambling. I have to stop before it gets out of hand. (I think we know what happens then just looking at my novel of a Breaking Dawn review.) Basically, Breaking Dawn was a great book, and I'm very happy with how the Twilight Saga ended, as depressing as that fact is. I think those few courageous Twilight guys will like this book especially, seeing as it's pretty intense and action-packed for a romance book. My dad said it was his favorite by far, though, like me, he was a bit disappointed that there was no ending Volturi battle. We both wanted a few casualties. That was pretty much our only complaint on the entire book. Those tiny stitches that I criticized in my big ol' review were only a result of me being the critic that I love to pretend I am. I could do the same with any book I've been hanging on the edge for - and that's already happening for Midnight Sun. In ten years, I think Stephenie Meyer should start a series about Jacob and Rensemee, too, don't you?

Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn, Midnight Sun, Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart, vampire, Edward Cullen, Bella Swan, Twilight Movie, Stephenie Meyer

No comments: