Thursday, August 14, 2008

Breaking Down the Breaking Dawn QOTD's

After reading and loving the most anticipated book of the year, I thought it would be fun to return to those taunting quotes Stephenie Meyer was throwing at us every day at midnight for 21 days, and compare the theories to what the actual context of each quote was. I took the liberty of writing the page number down each time I came across a quote. I'm proud of myself, because I got them all without having to go back. Away we go!

Quote: Bella: "Oh, Mike! How will I go on?"
Page: 27
Theory: Bella being sarcastic to Mike about something. Maybe he told her he was moving, that she didn't have any more chances to be with him, yadda yadda.
In Reality: Bella telling Edward she will miss her friends, and then saying this about Mike sarcastically, but not to Mike. In fact, Mike hardly showed up. None of her friends showed up. Except when Edward shot the garter into Mike's face - priceless. =)

Quote: Bella: "Jasper? What do vampires do for bachelor parties? You're not taking him to a strip club, are you?"
Page: 30
Theory: I didn't really have a theory on this one, it's pretty straightforward. It's the context that's a mystery. I pictured it while all the Cullens and Bella were gathered in a room and she had been talking to Edward about the wedding and yadda yadda so she asked Jasper.
In Reality: No strip club, don't you worry Bella. It was at night, when Edward had to slip out the window after Jasper and Emmett came a' knocking. Then Bella asked Jasper what they were going to do, while Emmett and Edward were punching each other down below, and he assured her they were only going hunting. Sure, Jasper, sure.

Quote: Alice: "No one will dare to call you plain when I'm through with you."
Bella: "Only because they're afraid you'll suck their blood."

Page: 42
Theory: I pictured this being said right before Alice was about to attack Bella with makeup and hair care products. But I also looked deeply into the words and thought that maybe this meant someone knew about the vampires...
In Reality: Well, I was right about the first part. Just before the wedding. Apparently, I was looking too deeply when I came up with that second theory, because that was just playful banter and nothing more.

Quote: Renee: "Alice wouldn't let us do anything else. Every time we tried, she all but ripped our throats out."
Page: 46
Theory: I thought this was about Renee and maybe Bella or Charlie or Phil or someone trying to help Alice decorate for the wedding. Again with the looking too far in and thinking maybe someone knew something.
In Reality: What I thought was kind of true. Renee and Charlie brought pretty hairpins for Bella after Alice made her beautiful and just before the wedding was about to start. Apparently that was all Alice would allow them to do in regards to the wedding. Nothing less, nothing more.

Quote: Charlie: "Bells, we're up to bat."
Page: 47
Theory: I didn't take this too literally (I did hope, though.) I knew they probably weren't playing baseball, and so I went with everyone else and thought this was Charlie announcing that it was their time to walk down the aisle.
In Reality: Ding, ding, ding! Correct! Only, they weren't walking down the aisle. Stairs is more like it. I kind of liked how the wedding was at the Cullen's lovely house.

Quote: Tanya: "Ah, Edward. I've missed you."
Page: 54
Theory: ASDFGJHKH! I remember how much of a start this gave all us Twilighters, myself included. I imagined Tanya saying this in a seductive way, and I was psyched that there might be a cat fight. Grawr!
In Reality: Well. Who would have guessed? Tanya is actually a subdued and kindhearted person. This was only a greeting between friends, not a greeting between a strawberry blonde slag and a very desireable, but already taken man. Fiddlesticks.

Quote: Seth: "You'll hurt her. Let her go."
Page: 66
Theory: Seth telling Jacob to give up on chasing after Bella because it was hurting her - to let her go metaphorically.
In Reality: He physically had Bella in his hands and was physically going to hurt her until Seth stepped in. Unexpected, in my opinion.

Quote: Jacob: "I'll kill you myself! I'll do it now!"
Page: 67
Theory: Jacob being dramatic and yelling at Bella or Edward. Or any of his other friends. Or any other vampire. Or a tree, possibly.
In Reality: Upon realizing that Bella and Edward were going to have a 'real' honeymoon, he was horrified, hence the quote before this one, and once he could speak, he started yelling at Edward.

Quote: Edward: "You're awfully small to be so hugely irritating."
Page: 71
Theory: I remember going, "YAY! Edward! Whoo!" for a while before actually trying to figure out what it meant. I was pretty sure he was talking to Alice - though Bella was a possibilty... - but I didn't know why. I thought maybe she had gone overboard with the wedding and Bella was upset, yadda yadda.
In Reality: Alice was pulling Bella away from her make-out session with Edward because it was time to catch the plane for their honeymoon. They kept kissing, so Alice started threatening. "I'll tell her where you're taking her, Edward. So help me, I will." And Edward got exasperated as he normally does with her.

Quote: Bella: "Why am I covered in feathers?"
Page: 89
Theory: I seriously had no idea. For all I knew, my joke of a theory about Bella, the zoo, and a bunch of ducks was spot on. xD
In Reality: Oh man! I love this! It's too good to put into my own words, so I'm typing out the whole conversation:
Edward: "Look at yourself, Bella. Then tell me I'm not a monster."
Bella: "Why am I covered in feathers?"
Edward: "I bit a pillow. Or two. That's not what I'm talking about."
Bella: "You...bit a pillow? Why?
Edward tearing into pillows while they were at it. Oh la-la.

Quote: Edward: "Do you want me to sing to you? I'll sing all night if it will keep the bad dreams away."
Page: 105
Theory: AWWWW! Oh, how I love Edward and his big, sparkly heart! I thought maybe Bella was having nightmares about the Volturi or Jacob and had woken up screaming her head off.
In Reality: Bella was having nightmares. Duh. But not about any previous troubles. This time it was about colorful islands and beautiful green-eyed babies that looked like Edward. Strange. And she didn't wake up screaming, either. She simply told him about them. Sadly, Bella did not say yes to his wonderful offer. Bella, how could you?!

Quote: Edward: You look so guilty - like you've committed a crime."
Page: 110
Theory: I was pretty sure that this was Edward talking to Bella teasingly about god only knows what. Maybe she had crossed the line (I'm talking about their smooching, here) and she knew it.
In Reality: Bella woke up from a very good dream starring Edward and a beach, she started crying, and then she attacked Edward and had sex with him for the second time, even though Edward was very against it. In the morning, this was Edward teasing Bella. I guess rape isn't really a crime anymore. :P

Quote: Rosalie: "Over my pile of ashes."
Page 186
Theory: Someone was about to hurt Bella or one of her family members, and so Rosalie steps up, being the tough girl that she is.
In Reality: Well...not really. It was too much to hope that Rosalie would have some sort of miraculous redemption. Instead, this is while she's being a protective lion over pregnant Bella, and Edward has just asked her to leave so Bella and Jake can talk privately.

Quote: Sam: "This is not something our treaty anticipated. This is a danger to every human in the area."
Page: 201
Theory: Sam was talking about the Volturi coming to hunt Bella down, or something along those lines.
In Reality: Who would have known that he was actually talking about the killer baby growing at alarming rates inside Bella?

Quote: Carlisle: "I've seen vampire venom work miracles, but there are conditions that even venom cannot overcome."
Page: 234-235
Theory: This one scared me! I was fearing that he was talking about Bella or someone else being so injured that even vampire venom couldn't help them.
In Reality: Jacob asked Carlisle whether he thought Bella would make it after giving birth. He said there was chance, but he couldn't be sure. Eeek!

Quote: Rosalie: "I'd like to beat you dead."
Page: 324
Theory: Rosalie was either saying this to some enemy, or saying it in a mocking sort of way to a family member or a werewolf. The way 'I'd' was italicized threw me off. She was replying to what someone else said, that much I could see.
In Reality: Jacob had been telling his (freaking amusing) blonde jokes to bitter Rosalie. Bella commented on how Jacob look tired, he replied that he was 'dead beat' and Rosalie made her snide remark.

Quote: Jasper: "I can't understand. I can't bear this."
Page: 464
Theory: I wasn't too sure...maybe Jasper was fretting because he couldn't feel or control someone's emotions, or he was worrying about Alice.
In Reality: He didn't understand why Bella was having such a walk in the park being a newborn vampire, when it had been so darn difficult (and still was) for him. He'd seen crazy newborns in action, too. And now Bella was all la de da. Poor Jaz.

Quote: Alice: "I'll play you for it. Rock, paper, scissors."
Edward: "Why don't you just tell me who wins?"
Alice: "I do. Excellent."

Page: 472
Theory: You gotta love that good old sibling rivalry, huh? It was obvious they were playing over something trivial, but I wasn't sure what. It could be anything. What car they would get Bella? What music they would play during the wedding? Who would ride shotgun?
In Reality: Which of their gifts Bella would get first for her unoffical 19th birthday! ;D Bella kept her reluctance for generosity through the vampire transformation, unfortunately. Hehe.

Quote: Bella: "Should I be afraid?"
Edward: "Terrified."

Page: 480
Theory: I was pretty sure the two of them were joking with one another. We all know how Edward likes to makes things seem better than what they are for Bella, so why would he scare her by telling her to be terrified. Not the lightest of words, I would say. Again, it could have been anything. Something to do with Alice, probably, and her tendency to go a bit nuts.
In Reality: Alice, Alice, Alice. Why does she keep wasting her futile efforts on improving Bella's less than decent fashion sense? I, for one, would not be particularly terrified to find that my sister had stocked an entire room full of the highest quality clothes for me. Ecstatic, might be the right word, there. But Bella will be Bella, even as a vampire.

Quote: Edward: "Oops."
Page: 505
Theory: Ahh, this was like my favorite quote of the bunch! One, it was so vague that it had as all writhing on the floor. Two, it was so hilariously un-Edward-Cullen-like. It could have been a wide number of things - my theories ranging from spilling orange juice in Bella's lap to running Jessica over with his Volvo.
In Reality: His kissing expertise was distracting Bella, again. Shame on him. It was right before Charlie was about to pay a little visit, too. Ooooh. It was Jasper who warned Edward that she was losing her focus, hense the little 'oops'. And the irony. That had been Bella's line during their first intense kiss when she was still human.

Quote: Emmett: "Oooo, scary."
Page: 517
Theory: Who can't love that big grizzly bear of a vampire? I imagined Emmett being sarcastic to Bella after she threatened him. Or any of his other family members, for that matter. Or a werewolf. Or a ninja.
In Reality: Emmett and his jokes. I don't think Bella quite liked those innuendos pertaining to her sex life, or she wouldn't have snarled at him.

Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn, Midnight Sun, Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart, vampire, Edward Cullen, Bella Swan, Twilight Movie, Stephenie Meyer

No comments: